Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Well, that's it for me

Believe it or not but I do not really like partisan politics.  Our politicians' obsessive focus on each other instead of on the issues that are really important to the lives and livelihoods of Canadians is infuriating.

However, I am addicted to partisan politics.  I have known that for sometime but I had a WTF moment last Tuesday that really got me thinking.  I won't bore you with the details but I will say I have spent the last week thinking and reflecting on it and I have decided to walk away from partisan politics.

The upshot for this blog is that I will be doing a lot less blogging than I did in the past, which was not much to begin with really.  As well, going back to the beginning of this blog I stated in my first post that I wanted to engage in intelligent debate about issues.  It certainly did not take long for that idea to be swamped by partisanship.  So, I am actually going to do what I intended to do with this blog.  I will talk about issues instead of the personalities and the organizations that so pollute our political culture.

The last week has also allowed me to put the current election into a non-partisan perspective and I have concluded that it will be what it will be.  I will do my bit to effect the outcome on Monday but after that it is out of my hands.  Otherwise, the final result will have very little impact on me or society at large with only political partisans from all parties being the most effected.

So long, I wish you all good fortune.

Go Habs! Go Canucks!

3 comments:

Jacques Beau Vert said...

Hi Ottlib.

I read this post deep personal interest.

I am concerned with the issues we need to get on top of. Energy, poverty, education, disasters, etc. I want to be an active participating citizen.

But everything is done through this combative mechanism which, as you say, legally compels the participants to expend most energy fighting each other. It's kind of ridiculous... and what's infuriating to me is how people can get caught so up in it.

Anyone can get caught up in an argument; I'm continually amazed at the partisans who insist that the other parties are all bad but the one they chose is really quite shiny.... who talk openly about issues in regards to how it will affect the party, and think that's normal.... or etc.

Their constant fighting becomes more of an issue than the other issues you were initially worried about.

Lately I've been wondering what I can do better, or differently. Reading/following the news doesn't do anything - it's not "participating", I'm not "active".

Anyway, interesting post. Good luck.

900ft Jesus said...

not sure how to feel about what you said. I get the first part and went off-line for awhile about a year go for similar reasons then came back after realizing I didn't have to align myself with any party, could criticize or praise regardless.

I hope you keep blogging, writing, talking. Media does such a poor job of presenting and analyzing without some slant or other.

Your last paragraph puzzles me. Maybe I misunderstood it, but if you are saying the outcome of the election will only affect partisan types, I have to strongly disagree. harper went down for contempt of Parliament. That's what this election was called over, and what it should be about. Even if the message gets lost now and then, the outcome does matter since whoever holds power can, as harper has shown us, affect our rights, our ability to know how our country is being shaped, the future for us and our children.

harper's way of governing is to control, muzzle, present whatever illusion suits him. What happens after this election is very important and affects us all, even affects my oblivious neighbour up the way, the one who never votes.

We need reform, and pressure will need to be placed on the next government, and on opposition members to demand it takes place or we will lose that very ability to apply pressure.

Anyway, it's always sad to see a bright voice silenced. There aren't enough of them! Take care.

Tomm said...

Ottlib,

You are just depressed because of how things are rolling out. Take some time off, but don't lose your interest in what makes Canada a better place.