Thursday, October 16, 2008

Mr. Emmerson and Mr. Fortier will be back

I am going to take my own advice and focus on the Conservatives for a moment.

I found it very strange that one of the first things Mr. Harper talked about in his post election new conference was Senate reform. He went so far as to threaten to stack the Senate to facilitate said reform.

My question was why would he begin his second term talking about an issue that is a non-starter east of the Ontario/Manitoba border?

Then I remembered Mr. Emmerson and Mr. Fortier. Mr. Harper wants them back. Mr. Fortier could not get into the House the usual way and Mr. Emmerson does not like the hurly-burly of the House. Using Senate reform as political cover to bring them back is something Mr. Harper would not hesitate in doing. As well, making them part of a larger group serves to provide more political cover. Such a strategy is cynical as hell but that is pretty much the short definition of Mr. Harper's approach to politics.

Do not be surprised if Mr. Harper announces a bunch of Senate appointments just before he announces his cabinet and do not be surprised if a couple of them are announced as being members of both institutions.

1 comment:

penlan said...

I had that thought the moment Fortier resigned his Senate seat. I also knew he would not win his candidacy. I expect to see him back - &, like you, in the Cabinet as well, along with Emerson.