Friday, July 31, 2020

Corruption in Politics

I have been accused by a few people that my particular political bent prevents me from getting upset by perceived or real corruption on the part of Liberal governments.

This is wrong.  I do not get upset by perceived or real corruption on the part of any government.  The Senate Expense Scandal did not bother me.  The bald face patronage of Mr. Ford does not bother me.  The fact that Mr. Kenney is under two RCMP investigations does not bother me.  Hell, even Adscam did not bother me.

The reason for this is simple.  Humans using their position to help themselves and/or their family and friends is a human trait.  We all do it and we have been doing for around 2 million years.  It is part of the human condition and it cuts across partisan lines.  To expect it to stop because a person gets elected to public office is about as reasonable as expecting public office holders to give up sex while they occupy office.  Certainly, checks should be put in place to prevent abuse but I can guarantee you that every office holder will take advantage of any and all available loopholes regardless of what political party they belong to.

I am a big believer in not getting upset about things I cannot change.  It is good for my blood pressure and it is good for my mental health.  I cannot change human nature with my vote.  Nor can I change it by other means.  So I have learned to look past it and focus on the big issues that we face as citizens of Canada and as Homo sapiens.

How a government deals with the big issues or how a political party seeking a mandate to govern proposes how to deal with them is what is important to me.  The governance style of a government is important to me.  I will always choose a government that governs using evidence over one that governs according to their ideology.  The competence of the government is important to me.  How well do they handle themselves in a crisis?  Are the actions they are taking during a crisis helpful or harmful? 

Governments have a job to do and how they do that job and the outcomes that come about from them doing their job is what is important.  The rest is not.  

No comments: